Sunday 14 November 2010

Bendtner: either cocky or naive. But definitely stupid.

Most footballers are stupid. I think that's pretty much agreed. Yet it still surprises me when they come out and say things like Bendtner did this week.

I've always wanted Bendtner to do well for Arsenal. But he's never been much more than a fringe player for Arsenal. He played quite a lot last year because van Persie was injured for a long time and, although he scored a few goals, he was far from prolific. In fact, I think Arsene Wenger has shown more faith than most managers would have in a player who scored just 13 goals during a whole season in the Championship and quite often misses easy chances.

What's more, it's been a pretty good few days for The Arsenal - repairing the damage of the defeat to Newcastle with a hard-fought win at Wolves, then winning at Everton while Chelsea fell apart at home to Sunderland, means we still have hope that the game against the Geordies will be to this team what the Blackburn home defeat was to 1998's title winners.

So the faith Wenger has shown in Bendnter, and the need to keep spirits up in the dressing room, make it particularly disappointing that he should say this week:
"I am incredibly disappointed at the lack of playing time. I feel I have done everything right during the rehabilitation phase and is in my life shape. I feel better than before the injury, so it is no longer. When I'm at 100 percent, I can not accept to sit on the bench."
These things are often twisted by the media, and if that's the case then Bendtner should know better than to say anything. If you're paid £50+ a week, why do you need to mouth off in the media at all?

If he did say those things, then he can always fuck off and try his luck elsewhere. If he does, he should be prepared to eat his words. After all, plenty have left to make the point they're good enough. Not many have achieved it. Anyone know what Aliadiere is up to these days?



No comments:

Post a Comment