Thursday 15 July 2010

What's this all about?

Why am I writing a blog? Partly because I'm an opinionated Gooner. But I'm also doing this because in recent years the opinions held by me and the friends with whom I've followed The Arsenal for more than two decades have become increasingly disconnected from the bulk of Arsenal fans and the media.

I don't have the energy to argue with those who read the back pages of the red tops and buy their sensationalist anti-Arsenal drivel about how Arsene Wenger has single-handedly ruined the national team. And I'm not going to give Adrian Durham and Stan Collymore the satisfaction of rising to their deliberate baiting when they call for Eduardo to be banned for ten games. This will be my outlet for what I think.

So what do I think? I'm a traditionalist (see next blog). I grew up through the George Graham years where discipline and 'no one player is bigger than The Arsenal' ruled. It is these qualities that have formed my football 'likes and dislikes'...

Likes:
The Arsenal's history and traditions; The Arsenal's class; our refusal to jeopardise our future by spending what we don't have; total and exciting football.

Dislikes:
Over-meddling governing bodies always changing football in search of the 'perfect and clean game', removing the passion and the drama in the process; greedy modern-day footballers who just don't care; goal-line technology; fickle referees; diving; travelling to games.

These are some of the things which will stir blogs from me. Hopefully you'll find some of it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment