Tuesday 27 July 2010

Twitching and tapping...

Having seen many Arsenal players tapped up over the years, I always appreciate clubs taking a strong stance against it...

Spurs Chairman Daniel Levy, 18 July 2008:
"Public comments by Manchester United's manager, announcing that he has made an offer for Dimitar [Berbatov] and is confident that the deal will go through, is a blatant example of interference with one of our players.

"Our position has been severely compromised by the club making contact with the player and his agent, without the club's permission. This has shown Manchester United to be in breach of Premier League rules. As a result, we have today made an official complaint."

Although if you do take such a strong stance, you should probably practice what you preach...

Spurs manager Harry Redknapp:
On Robbie Keane: “Robbie Keane is a fantastic player but he belongs to Liverpool. I wouldn't say I wouldn't like him at the football club, but he belongs to Liverpool so it is not an option. As a player and a person I have a lot of time for Robbie. I think he is fantastic.”

On Jermain Defoe: "If the price is right and if Tony and Peter Storrie want to sell him and it's what we consider at our valuation and theirs, then fine, he is a good player.”

On Luis Fabiano: "Yes, I like him. He's a fabulous player and would be a brilliant addition to any team. I am not unhappy with the squad I have, but of course if a special player came along I would look at it, and Fabiano is a special player all right. For sure, he is a class act.”

On Ruud Van Nistelrooy: "He's an interesting player. He was fantastic in England and a great goalscorer. If he was available it could be of interest. It's not impossible... if it was right we could be interested."

On Sandro. “He can play. I'd like to go and have a look myself and, if we do decide to do anything, it'll be up to the chairman to push it on from there."

On Joe Cole: “I'm not saying if he hadn't agreed a deal with someone and he was available and didn't stay at Chelsea that we wouldn't be interested. I'm a big fan of Joe's.”

On Klaas-Jan Huntelaar: “The lad is a very good goalscorer and I'm still interested in him. I know of Stuttgart's involvement but I'm hoping we will still be able to do something. There's a lot of talk about who I may or may not be after but Huntelaar is the one I like."

On Patrick Vieira: “I'm still interested in Patrick and he wants to play here."

On David Beckham: “If the opportunity was there to sign him any club would have to think about it. David Beckham is a fantastic player, but he is also a terrific role model and a terrific professional. I'm not saying I would sign him and I wouldn't want to be disrespectful to him and say I wouldn't sign him. But it's a million to one shot – he'd bring something to the football club.”

My personal favourite...
Tapping up the entire Uruguayan nation: "I like all the Uruguayan players. They’re all good. I think Forlan would have another two or three good years in the Premier League, but his wages could be a problem."

No comments:

Post a Comment