Thursday 5 May 2011

Fine lines and clutching at straws


I have to confess that Sunday’s win over Man U surprised me a lot. It wasn’t quite the surprise of waking up in a multi-million-pound Pakistani compound at 3am to find some US Seal standing at the end of my bed dispatching the contents of his AK47 into my temple. But I did expect us to lose, and lose with a whimper.

Afterwards it just added to the disappointment of our season – a season when we finally learnt how to beat Man U and Chelsea again but forgot how to close out games and get on a winning run in the easiest of finishes we’ve had to a season in years.

A win over Man U, stood in the sun outside the boozer with the day off work the next day, should have been accompanied by the celebrations of eeking towards the title. Instead it was just all a bit flat – and it feels like we lost the title ages ago now.

Imagine my surprise then, when I stumbled across what the league would look like now if every time the woodwork had been hit in all Premier League games this season, the ball had instead gone in [I’m not sure who the man is that calculates these things, but I imagine he gets out about us much as the Fritzl children c1990-2008].

Now I know football is all about ifs and buts, and that statistics can generally paint any picture you want. And I know that it’s no use bemoaning these things because they’re all part of the game etc etc.

But I also know that the width of a post or crossbar is pretty small. So the fact that we would have been an incredible 12 points clear – and Champions - had all teams’ woodwork strikes been goals, is pretty amazing.



Clutching at straws? Me? Whatever…

No comments:

Post a Comment