Thursday 20 January 2011

The clever people

I find Clarke Carlisle a bit annoying. The Burnley full-back’s appearance on Countdown a couple of years ago gave the media the chance to ramble on endlessly about how amazing it was a footballer could add up and make a word out of some jumbled up letters. It was tiresome.

Ever keen to boost his profile as a clever boy – which in fairness should secure him a pretty lucrative media career when his playing days are over – Clarke is taking a seat on politics show Question Time tonight.

He says: "I don't consider myself to be a politics buff by any stretch of the imagination, but with the economic crisis, my wife and I started to take a keener interest and I just hope I can give a layman's perspective on things."

Yeah, this economic crisis must be just as tough for you on your footballer’s salary as it is for me on mine. Thanks for the “layman’s perspective”.

Of course, it’s easy to see why Carlisle has been able to position himself as the leading football intellect when you take into account the opposition. In 2004, Carlisle was vote “Britain’s brainiest footballer” by an ITV show of the same name. But he didn't exactly have to be a genius when you consider his nearest rival, the man voted second, was TalkSport’s own Alan Brazil.

That’ll be the same Alan Brazil who once said live on air: "I was sad to hear yesterday about the death of Inspector Morse, TV's John Shaw… I mean John Thaw. Do you know, I've been doing that all morning. John, if you're listening, sorry mate."

And the same Alan Brazil who said: “Our talking point this morning is George Best, his liver transplant and the booze culture in football. Don’t forget, the best caller wins a crate of John Smith's."

Even better though, he’s also the same Alan Brazil who, in this clip, asks about the health of a dead Bob Monkhouse….



…and who here uses all his intellect to try to get out of a drink-drive charge, without success.



With people like Big Al as his closest competition, it’s no wonder Clarkey is top of the brains tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment